Sunday, March 26, 2006

cops in the hood



so you want to watch my video?



So this past week, on my walk home from school I ran across a cop chase, ending a block from where I was. I pulled out my video camera and held it low, trying to avoid attention with it. A guy with his two kids saw it and said "yo! You got a camera? go over there and start taping!"

And you know what? That was the kick in the butt I needed. Just someone demanding I tape something, get it recorded, make it physical. It was exhilerating. Not everyone hates being taped, and some things are better when the camera is turned on from the get go.

I was walking through a park when a helicopter hoovered directly overhead. It was the second time in that park I should have pulled out my video camera -- and both times I figured it was most likely for the best that I didn't... and I was wrong. looking back, I would love to have that footage. I would love to have had my camera on while I deliberated if I was safe checking out the scene.

lesson learned.

but now you ask how this fits into my theme of things being more than they are? I'm not exactly sure how it works out. I figure that whenever a white girl records a group of black, male, teenagers talking about the criminal justice system -- there's always more than meets the eye.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cool, and hey, so different from your other posts! Looking forward to more.

1:20 AM  
Blogger dominique said...

Its interesting how the kids' opinion of the whole thing was actually more interesting than the actual event.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someday, when you're 45 and living in a safe suburb, you'll look back fondly on the time you lived in the "hood".

On another note, please change that font! It is extra ugly and too large. The words are integral to this blog, yet they hide behind an unreadable font. Maybe it looks better on a Mac?

1:54 PM  
Blogger bethany said...

right now my problem is that Internet explorer does not like the template that I'm using, it reads everything to be huge, capitolized, and my sidebar is at the bottom. If you look at it through firefox (a much better browser anyways) it will format correctly. I've tried contacting the creator of the template to see how I can fix the problem, but he has yet to respond (even a month later).

but per your request, I will definately change my font. Give me a day or two, but it will be changed. Thanks!
Bethany

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the new font.

Ok, you got me to do it. I've finally installed FireFox. And it looks very nice, with its tabs and better r-click menus. And I no longer feel shame and guilt for using IE. So thanks for that too.

10:38 PM  
Blogger B said...

I carry my camera everywhere I go. It's priceless!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home